Friday 2 January 2009

An Ode to Endo Sisters

Endometriosis, the cruellest of cruel
I wish I had known back when I was in school
How life would be when I became a teen
I wish I’d known that life could be so mean
There’s no way to prepare for the endless pain
No way of knowing if you’ll ever be the same
Hours of torture, lasting days, even weeks
Getting by on morphine, drugged up so to speak
Cancelling socials, losing friends you once had
Oh why wasn’t I prepared that things would be so bad
Constantly battling to prove it’s not in your head
Constantly aching to jump freely out of bed
A longing to be heard, or that someone will hear
Then another “Oh it’s normal”, then come the tears
A long, lonely road of despair may follow
Faced along the way with sadness and sorrow
Never knowing what tomorrow will bring
But at least you can always be sure of one thing
Your endo sisters will always be there
Always showing they understand and care
Never to put you down or even forget you
And always to know that they’ve been there too
So had I known then, what I know now
I don’t think I’d have my wonderful sisters, and I don’t know how
I would have faced more surgery, and got through the days
Or have the strength to fight, or know the ways
See with endometriosis, it’s a chronic condition
But one thing’s for sure; it won’t stop my ambition
I thank you all for helping me through
And please please know - I’ll always be here for you.

No comments: